Sunday 11 April 2010

But what are you trying to say?


So, I've been a thinking.....
Why can't I just paint a pretty picture?
Why isn't it good enough to produce an image that is aesthetically pleasing? Why does it have to "say something"?
I'm tired of trying to make up pretentious bullshit (here after known as PB) to go with my work. I often don't know why I do things artistically, it's often a gut reacton. I don't see why it should have to "mean something". The fact that I like the way the colours go together or that I like the effect of the paint isn't good enough.
"But what are you trying to say?"
Sometimes I have nothing to say, I just want to put paint to canvas and enjoy that experience. The smell of the oil paint, the way the paint smooths across the surface, the way the colours blend together. I love the sensory experience of painting, I don't want to say anything.
I just want to enjoy the experience of painting and right about now....I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment